Farming Walkthrough [Beginner Guide]

Discussion in 'HarvestMC Discussion' started by LittleMissSarah, Apr 4, 2017.

1. LittleMissSarah

LittleMissSarah Member

Minecraft account: LittleMissSarah
    Welcome to Harvest MC, a competitive farming Minecraft server similar to prison! Hopefully you know the basics of Harvest MC, so today we're going to put that knowledge to good use with a farming guide.

If you see an example, click it to see a linked picture!
    As the lowest tier of the server does not have access to many things, so you have to make do. Luckily, your goal to rankup is only $450, so it's a short run to the next level.

As a peasant, you have access to the following crops:
    - Sugar cane
    - Wheat seeds
    - Cactus
    - Oak saplings

You also have access to a few other ways to earn money: apples, oak logs, cobblestone, and stone.

This gives you a few options on how you want to make money. If you enjoy mining, sell cobblestone (and check out section 4). If you enjoy forestry, grow oak wood (and check out section 3). Other methods to make money are located in the last section (section 5).
    Crop farming is the most common way to get money in Harvest MC - after all, it's a competitive farming server.

You've started out, checked out spawn, created a plot, and slapped down some crops to start your journey. But now you wonder, "Is there a better way?" The answer is probably yes.

Water is needed for most crops to grow. Sugar cane needs to be planted adjacent to a water block in order to grow, and wheat needs to have fertile soil to grow faster.

Water will hydrate farmland up to 4 blocks away. This makes the most efficient use of water for farmland a 9x9 plot of land, with one block of water in the middle. (See wheat farms section below for an example.) This will utilize the most amount of farmland and decrease amount of water needed. This method works for most crops, including wheat, potatoes, carrots, and beets.

A common misconception about water is that you can place it below your farmland to increase your yield by one more block - this is not the case. Water can hydrate farmland on the same level, or above by one level. In other words, placing a farm over the ocean will not work. (See: Water.png )
    Sugar cane farming is pretty simple. Most people go for the common usage of a grid pattern to be efficient, or perhaps just placed along your beach to save time. These work in the short term, but if you want to maximize space, you'll use a different form of grid, as shown below. This is the best way to farm sugar cane, except of course for automatic farms.

( See: Sugar.png )
    All the time I see wheat farms done in an inefficient way. Oftentimes, players line wheat up in rows denoted as: wheat, water, wheat, wheat, water, wheat, ect. This is not the best way as I mentioned in the earlier section "Water Usage". I highly recommend using the 9x9 square method of farming to maximize space. You can see an example below.

( See: wheat.png )
    Tree farming is not my area of expertise. I will say this though: I do know some tricks and tips for people who want a quick farm.

Tip: For oak farms, place a ceiling 9 blocks above the ground to create a barrier so the trees won't grow into abominations.

A cool fact about oak trees is that you can place the saplings next to each other and they will still grow. (See: Example) This is helpful when you want to save space and get wood quickly, but not want an efficient farm. What makes this inefficient? Sometimes the saplings will be overshadowed by its sister trees, and thus won't get enough light to grow. This also has an issue with sapling drops - since the canopy is closer together, there's less leaves, and thus, less chance of getting saplings and apples. Pick the best option for your farm.

Efficient oak tree farms will need light on each sapling to make sure each one grows. This can be achieved with torches, or glowstone throughout the farm. Replace glowstone with torches, and each sapling will get enough light to create trees. This method is also subject to getting less saplings and apples, so be wary. ( See: tree.png )
    Mining. A tried a true method, especially for those who are new to Minecraft and struggle with understanding other parts of the game. Most people know the best method of mining is called strip mining. This method saves time and effort while mining for supplies.

Tip: Do not use coal when smelting items. Instead, make charcoal and use that instead. You can sell the coal for a quick buck, and still have a way to smelt and cook items for the future.

Strip mining makes it possible to see more blocks than if you mined random rows or columns, and increases the chance of finding ores based simply off numbers. This method also saves time so you don't clear mine an entire section of land.

To strip mine, first create an entrance to your mine. This first row will act as the passageway to the rest of your mine. When making hallways off the main passage, leave two blocks between each hall. This will enable you to see all gems, ores, and other blocks between while mining. (Check out this example of strip mining.)

Another method is to make a three space break between hallways. This stems from the idea that most ores spawn in groups of three, and will generally be seen while mining. I don't particularly trust this method myself, and stick to leaving two blocks between each passageway. (Check out an example of this here.)
    This is the hardest part about being a peasant. With next to no money, how do you get a new pickaxe when yours breaks? Or perhaps you lost all your saplings to clearlag and have no way to make more trees?

Luckily, HarvestMC uses a special type of currency in addition to regular currency: harvest tokens. These will drop occasionally from your crops, and can be used throughout town to purchase supplies when you have no money. The following shopkeepers will sell some basic enchanted tools for 5 large harvest tokens (50 harvest tokens).

Hoes : Arthur Hull, located in the farming supplies shop.
    Axes : Sophie Foster, located in the forestry supplies shop.
    Shovels : Caleb Hyde, located in the mining supplies shop.
    Pickaxes : Betty Hyde, located in the mining supplies shop.
    Swords : Sylvia Witt, located in the ranching supplies shop.

If you don't have enough tokens for supplies, try some other methods:

One method is to get some keys for crates, and try your luck. You can get these keys as either very rare random loot from farms, or you can get 1 key per vote using /vote. Head to spawn with your key, and cross your fingers!

Another method is to check out the Auction House via /ah. These will usually have some supplies to sell for cheaper than the shop. If this fails, you can always ask if someone is willing to sell some seeds/saplings in chat and hope for the best.

My personal favorite method is to REACT. React is a type of game played in the server chat. This will occasionally appear in chat, and you hover over the word to view a jumble of letters and numbers that you have to quickly type in chat. Capitol letters matter, and watch out for the tricky O vs 0. If you get it before anyone else, or before it times out after 30 seconds, you will get $75 added to your bank account.

Note: Please let me know of any spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes, dropped pictures, or inconsistencies in my post in a PM.

2. HeroHex

HeroHex Member

Minecraft account: HexedHero
    This is actually a nice guide, thanks for posting this Sarah <3

3. DeadlyFirex

DeadlyFirex Member

Minecraft account: DeadlyFirex
    Hey LittleMissSarah!
    Very nice tutorial! This explains a lot to new players, because the most that join keep a little bit distracted for what to do, this tutorial brings some light in it!
    Greetings,
    DeadlyFirex

4. LittleMissSarah

LittleMissSarah Member

Minecraft account: LittleMissSarah
    Thanks guys!

5. DeadlyFirex

DeadlyFirex Member

Minecraft account: DeadlyFirex
    No problem